Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Serious thoughts about cardiovascular health, followed by other things

Derping out some makeup I've done in the past week. It's been a little hectic over here; Mr. Mango and I had to take Mother Mr. Mango to the emergency room; she'd had chronic shortness of breath for a few days running, and we thought she might have had pneumonia or bronchitis since she's a heavy smoker. After talking with the lovely nurses and doctor (seriously, they were all awesome ladies) she was transferred to the hospital. We learned that she has congestive heart failure, which sounds terrifying but is basically when your heart starts a protest and demands better work conditions. Forty-some years of smoking and uncontrolled diabetes, mixed with a steady diet of fast food and diet Coke, means that mom-in-law will need to make some big lifestyle changes to ease up on her heart. Thankfully it's pretty easy to control this kind of heart disease if you're willing to make those changes and take some medicine; mostly it will involve her taking insulin for her diabetes and some medication that will encourage higher oxygen uptake in her blood so her heart doesn't have to overcompensate.

Ladies out there: please, please, PLEASE take care of your tickers. Heart disease doesn't always mean chest pains and palpitations. In women the symptoms are often more subtle and sneaky, like shortness of breath and coughing (due to fluid buildup in the lungs), serious fatigue (cause your heart be tired yo), sudden weight gain and swelling of the limbs, or even that weird feeling that you have to belch and just can't get it out. If something with your body is weird and it just won't go away, please get it checked out. Sometimes playing hero means asking for help and taking care of yourself instead of ignoring the discomfort. People out there love you and depend on you. I probably love you, as long as you didn't steal my parking spot today parking spot thief.

.

Back to our regularly scheduled dose of vanity:





Just used those random products I don't really like. This time it was UD Oil Slick liner smudged with the WnW purple trio of crap, followed up by naked skin and some eyebrows. I even got fancy and made a frowny GIF. Oooo!

.







Wore this to do my final presentation on my internship at Kellogg's. I thought it was going to be serious business and professional-like but apparently the other four students didn't get the memo. I had to cram my whole speech into five minutes, when it should have taken double or even triple that time.

Lid: NYX JEP in Milk topped with NYX Iced Mocha

Crease: more Iced Mocha, it's all over the place

Liner: idk, maybe Milani Liquif'Eye in black

Highlight: creamy white-pink from the WnW purple trio of crap

Blush, shown off with that sassy head tilt OOO: ELF Studio Blush in Mellow Mauve

Lips: L'Oreal Riche lipstick in Raspberries, applied as a stain with my fingers, topped with DG tinted lipbalm in Pochacco

I'm pretty fond of that lipcolor combo with the blush. It looks like I ate a cherry popsicle and went for a jog, getting all rosy and pink and stuff. I'll have to try it with a brighter, lighter eyeshadow. I feel like the taupey-silvery shadow makes me look a little tired when I'm not wearing it with warmer colors. I like the tired look, but it's not such a good idea when you want to look all perky and happy for school- or job-related goings-on.

3 comments:

  1. *hugs* I hope she's able to make those changes! :(

    I freakin' love that lip combo on you. *steals it*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another gorgeous look - and I love that lip and blush combo on you, too! Gorgeous!

    Should've read this first (stupid chronological order), but I'm glad your mom-in-law has a good prognosis, and I'm very hopeful and positive that she can make the big changes she needs to. Health is a hell of an incentive. (Says the lady who quit smoking overnight, after trying unsuccessfully for a couple months, because an appendicitis scare uncovered a teeny-tiny pulmonary nodule - which is almost certainly nothing to ever worry about, but damned if I'll keep smoking and help it grow into something worrisome. I still get cravings from time to time - but shit, I just think about my baby nodule and funny if I don't get over the cravings.) Sending you (and your family) good vibes, lovely lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, she's off to a good start---no cancer sticks for a week, she has willingly given up on her beloved Kraft mac&cheese, and she actually bought everything she needs for her glucose monitoring. FINGERS CROSSED XX

    ReplyDelete