Monday, December 5, 2011

Use It or Lose It, Scene I

The unfortunate thing about not wearing makeup often is that the stuff I don't like---or is inconvenient to get to---often gets shoved to the side and never seen and I use that one other thing that I DO like instead. After digging through my paltry collection I picked out some stuff that I didn't like and decided to try and use as much of it as I can in the next few months. I don't know if I'll stick it out ALL the way, but at least I can try and get some stuff out of the way.



ELF Studio Eyebrow Kit in Medium: Bought this earlier in the summer, tried it once and promptly shoved it in a random drawer because the powder side was waaay too warm for my coloring. I need an ashy, grayish-almost-greenish brown; anything that's too warm or neutral turns this awkward shade of Jersey orange.

Hard Candy Moon Glow: I was looking for a soft, shimmery highlighting powder; unfortunately this wasn't right for me. On my skin it was more of a matte setting powder with very sparse golden glitter. I don't know if it's the particular pan of product or my expectations were off; when I saw this swatched on Phyrra and the Muse the sparkly-shimmery goodness was a bit finer as well a touch more noticeable, which is exactly what I want. Instead of giving me a soft glow I look more like I have a touch of fallout everywhere, or maybe a small unicorn farted in my general direction.

Wet'n'Wild MegaEyes trio: The name has worn off of this one so I don't even know what it's supposed to be called; this line of eyeshadows was replaced by their ColorIcon products, but I think I've had this for... two years? Three? And I've only used it a couple times for the creamy highlight shade. That creamy color (which is actually more of a pinked-white) is the most pigmented of the three, followed by the purple in the middle (which turns an awkward cool-ashy shade) and the craptastic lavender on the end. Huge disappointment. I'll do what I can with it, maybe use the shit shade as a cheek highlight or something...

NYX singles in Champagne and Iced Mocha, depotted and abused: Iced Mocha has seen better days. I've barely even TOUCHED Champagne. IM is supposedly a dupe for MAC Satin Taupe, and it's pretty much the same thing as WnW Nutty, which I like better anyway. Champagne is... I don't know, a normal champagne-y color. They're reasonably pigmented, blend well, the last over primer, etc. I just never use them. They're obviously easy to dupe, and I have far more interesting neutrals to work with from indie brands, so I'd kind of like it if they magically got used up.

Evil Shades Primrose Path sample: I've also been awful about using up samples, even if I love the product contained within. This one, for example, has been used exactly one time in the past year. It's not a bad color; I actually think it's quite pretty, especially with that freaking adorable green glitter. It just keeps hiding itself between the other things in the tacklebox makeup storage zone. Hopefully finishing one sample will help me get to other samples, especially the ones I'm not squirreling away just in case I need to barter with them in a horrible post-apocalyptic world where beauty products are highly prized and food is scarce and oh my frig I am one of those hoarders.



I will never use up Barkley! He always has love to give. Loooove.

I wish Coco would pose for photos half as well as this little pig. Poor, lonely bunny. And then there's the fish, whose life is a dark, dark abyss. Sad Keanu is sad.

10 comments:

  1. "or maybe a small unicorn farted in my general direction." exactly! On me it looked like a unicorn ghost farted because it was too light lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. BARKLEY! What a handsome man!

    I think this is a great idea - I may have to steal it from you. I've never tried a 10-pan project or anything, because I doubt I could stick with it long enough to use it completely up, even the stuff I loooooove. But picking some items I *never* use and just trying to use them? That, I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unicorn ghost = amazing. There should be a video game or song about this somewhere on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree! It's so much less pressure, and I feel like I get a lot more DONE if I'm not pushing myself to be successful in some way. I just use the shit out of that stuff, and if the whole "using it up" thing happens it happens. I'm sure there's some sort of lesson to be learned here but idk what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL you're really selling those products, you should be on QVC ;]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, oooooh! Teacher, pick me, I know the answer! (Only because my therapist tells it to me a million times, because it never seems to stick.) I think the answer is along the lines of "perfectionism." As in, if Kathy tries to do a 10-pan, she will fail, because her perfectionism will get all grabby and bitchy; whereas if Kathy just says, "Hey, I haven't used these, I will use the hell out of them, no big," then the perfectionism is all, "Hmph, nothing to get controlling over here, moving along." ;) Still a brilliant idea, and one I've got to do. (Just as soon as I finish using some new stuff I haven't even touched yet - but that counts, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally counts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What can I say? I'm all about the product endorsement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. [...] Highlight: creamy whitish shade from the WnW trio of suck [...]

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] Lid/crease: UD Cream Shadow in Midnight Cowboy (the stuff that came in the squeezy tubes with the doe foot applicators) topped with the grey-ish lavender shadow from the WnW trio of suck [...]

    ReplyDelete